If you own a purpose-built flat, manage the property, or share a business premise, you may well be responsible for communal bins. In this article, we’ll outline what that means and who you can hire to help. 

Who is responsible for wheelie bins?

Putting out standard wheelie bins is the direct responsibility of the property owner or tenant. But what happens when these bins are shared between different households or businesses?

There are three categories of people for whom communal bins are relevant. 

  • Those who live in flats (or their residents’ association)
  • Those who own a flat, but don’t live in it (including landlords)
  • Business owners with premises in a building or site shared with other companies
  • Property managing agents
  • Local area councils
Communal bins for flats 

Tenement flats

If the property that relates to you is a tenement flat or similar building, it’s likely you won’t have to do anything. City councils provide on-street communal bins for use by residents and the general public. These stay in one place and are emptied by council operatives. You can access maps showing all public/communal bins in your area, on the relevant council’s website. 

Purpose-built flats/large houses converted into apartments

Purpose-built flats are more prolific in England than in Scotland. Thes types of flats will usually have a management agent who takes responsibility for the communal bin rotation. You’ll see a charge for this as part of your statements. In some cases, the residents may split the responsibility between themselves. Or they’ll create an in-house management team. Large houses that have been converted into multiple flats will ordinarily not have an agent, as there may be just a few properties within the single building. In this case, you’ll either have to take turns taking the bins out or contract a bin rotation company to take care of it and share the costs between you. If you are a landlord, all costs and onus regarding bin rotation land with you, not the tenant. 

Communal bins for other buildings 

Retirement blocks and sheltered accommodation

A management company will always oversee the communal bins for these properties. There may be a caretaker on site who does it. Or the premise manager will organise a bin rotation company to come in. If you’re a property manager, you’ll need to arrange communal bin rotation

Office blocks housing multiple companies and commercial units

As per retirement blocks, there may be an operative who manages all the onsite maintenance. Otherwise, the companies will have to split the responsibility between themselves, either hiring a company or doing it themselves. 

Shared responsibilities can be the cause of many disagreements. Contract professionals for your communal bin rotation – it’s well worth the costs. If you need help in this area, give us a call or drop us a message today.